Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Another First

Last semester I popped my blogging cherry with "The Bible as Literature" and this semester I have written my first sonnet. Believe it or not it took me days to write these fourteen lines. It was a doozy. I don't know if it is good or not so I offer it up to the blogging sphere of judgement.

Sonnet #1:

The plans of love cannot be made to wait,
As mice cannot begin to halt the owl.
Consigned to hang on by the thread of fate.
When cut, they fall wrung drops, like wounded fowl.


Into the mind the heart will seep and fill,
Each though consumed and urged to blend in time.
Two souls entwined like roots of plants with will,
To be but split shall kill them both in prime.


Perceived like wind on tops of golden reeds
To fan the flames that feed the needful thing,
By which the blur of life and things impede.
The sea will take those floundering.


A world with love endures great pain in loss
A force that sent a man to climb the cross.

Don't ask me what I think it means just let it mean whatever. I tried to have a theme in the sonnet but I don't know if it really came out in the end. Love is no doubt a beautiful thing but not with out consequence. Love wields tremendous power. This left me to ponder this question. If the world were loveless would it be a better place? I find that Shakespeare however romantic and flowering never once allows love to appear inconsequential. As I have come to find that love cause many in Shakespeare's work unbearable pain for some to the point of suicide, or murder. Obviously the love doesn't make them do these things but when the love is lost the ensuing flood of jealousy and grief certainly has some negative effects. So, again. Would the world be a better place with the absence of love?

P.S. beautiful blogs peeps. There is no favoritism in the world of Roberto's blog. Only in real life.

2 comments:

  1. This is great Roberto. Very insightful and elegant. I'll keep an eye out for sonnet #2.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice, especially line 2, and of course the last two lines.
    Line 12 needs one more beat to maintain the perfect iambic pentameter, which you have executed so nicely.
    J.Thornburg

    ReplyDelete